Aaloo paratha is a popular traditional Indian dish. It’s a type of flatbread that is made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with a mixture of mashed potatoes, spices and sometimes other vegetables like peas. It is usually served as a breakfast or brunch item, and can be enjoyed with yogurt, chutney, or pickle. It can also be served with a side of curry or dal. It’s a popular street food in Northern India and Pakistan. It’s easy to make and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Aaloo paratha (Potato-stuffed flatbread) recipe:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and enough water to form a dough. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, amchur powder, garam masala powder, and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and shape each one into a ball.
- Take one dough ball and roll it out into a circle using a rolling pin.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the potato filling in the center of the circle.
- Gather the edges of the dough and seal the filling inside.
- Roll out the dough again into a circle, ensuring that the filling is evenly distributed.
- Heat a griddle or a tawa over medium heat. Once hot, place the paratha on it and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until it turns golden brown.
- Once done, spread ghee or oil on top of the paratha and serve it hot with yogurt or chutney.
Note: You can also cook the paratha using butter or oil, as per your preference.